by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) - A high court in India has ordered the district administration of Kondagaon to facilitate the safe return of Christians who were displaced from their villages by radical Hindu nationalists in Chhattisgarh state, Assist News reports. The order was issued by Bilaspur High Court on November 8.
The court made its ruling after 12 Christians filed a Public Interest Litigation suit on October 14, requesting security for displaced believers, Assist News said.
According to a report by International Christian Concern (ICC), believers from Kakadabeda, Telliabeda, and Singanpur were called to a village meeting in September and were told to recant their Christian faith. When the believers refused to deny their faith, Hindu nationalists threatened them and destroyed their homes. The believers have been displaced from their villages since then.
Vijay Sori, a survivor of the September attack, and a petitioner in the case, explained to ICC: “We ran for our lives. The death threat they hurled against us were very frightening. There was no other way than to flee from the village. Our lives are in danger as the villagers have vowed to kill us if we return.”
Sori added: “We want the freedom to worship and a safe atmosphere. We don’t trouble anyone and no one should trouble us. That’s why we have been pleading in the court and with the authorities.”
Authorities have reportedly done little to apprehend and prosecute the perpetrators of the crimes related to this case, Assist News said.