By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
(Worthy News) - A U.S. mission group has thanked for prayers as it remembers that precisely two months ago, 17 American and Canadian missionaries were kidnapped in Haiti.
While five missionaries have since been released, Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries said it remains concerned about the others still held by the 400 Mawozo gang.
The gang, known for its brazen kidnappings and targeting Christian groups, said earlier that it demanded $17 million — $1 million a hostage.
One of its leaders, Wilson Joseph, threatened to “put a bullet” in the head of each hostage if the ransom was not paid.
In recent days his gang released three missionaries who were among those kidnapped in Haiti on October 16. Two other hostages, an American husband, and wife were freed on November 22 due to illness without a ransom being paid, sources said.
“Those who were released are safe and seem to be in good spirits,” Christian Aid Ministries added in a statement. “As with the previous release, we are not able to provide the names of the people released, the circumstances of the release, or any other details.”
However, it said on Thursday, “it will be two months since our difficult journey began. As we stated one day after the crisis began—As an organization, we commit this situation to God and trust Him to see us through.”
The group added it hopes that through this ordeal, many more people will be reached with the Gospel “to know His love and salvation.”
While urging prayers for remaining hostages, it also urged prayers for Haiti where “a tanker exploded while transporting fuel in Cap Haitien, Haiti’s second-largest city” killing dozens.
The well-informed group said the explosion “killed at least 59 people, wounded many others, and severely damaged nearly 50 houses.”
Christian Aid Ministries stressed that its “thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost loved ones as well as the people whose homes were destroyed.”